Thursday, 13 August 2015

Brace yourself...

What's this? Braces?!  Where did those bad boys come from?! Let me explain...

My last post was a bit of a downer, as I was told that I wouldn't be getting my braces in my next appointment after all. With holidays and a wedding, in which I am a bridesmaid, coming up I was really hoping to get my braces on as soon as possible, in order to give me as much time as possible to get used to them before going away. So I turned up to my appointment on Monday to get the metal brackets fitted on my back teeth. Which they did. But then my orthodontist said, if you can wait around for a while, I can get someone to fit your top braces. I jumped at the chance! Two hours later I left the hospital with shiny new braces!

The process wasn't painful, just a bit uncomfortable as you have your mouth stretched open during the fitting (I now have a joker smile). The woman who fitted them was really nice and completely put me at ease.

That was three days ago and do you know what? Having braces isn't that bad. 

Firstly, if I'm honest, I expected to feel quite upset and low after having my braces. I'm not the most self confident in my looks so I really thought I would find it upsetting seeing my mouth full of metal. In reality, it's not affected me at all! One good thing about having braces as an adult is that you are likely more confident in yourself than you were as a teenager. Plus, this is something that I want to do. I want nice teeth, I want to be able to bite into food correctly, and this is what I am doing to get there. Whoop!

Secondly, the pain. I have been warned and warned again that braces are painful. Someone told me that their dentist once told them that having braces is the closest a male would come to experiencing period pains. Oh joy. My braces haven't really been painful. It's more like a dull ache, but the annoying thing is that it's constant. I would love to take them off for just a few seconds, just to releave the pressure. That ain't gonna happen! It hadn't stopped me eating as normal or doing anything that I want to do and it doesn't keep me awake at night either. I suppose the most painful bit is the brackets rubbing at the back of my mouth, but a bit of wax soon sorts that out.

The most annoying thing I have experienced so far is the whole brushing teeth after each meal and reapplying wax. I'm perfectly happy to brush my teeth after each meal (and believe me, it is necessary!) but at the moment as the brackets are still rubbing me I need to reapply the wax which takes a while. It's a great way to lose weight though. I just refused free snacks (which is so unlike me) because I was to lazy to brush my teeth and reapply wax afterwards. Every cloud I suppose... Although I am bloody peckish!

So all in all, a pretty good experience. I have another appointment in two weeks to have my bottom braces fitted, and then I'm braced up!







No comments:

Post a Comment